Sunday 24 February 2013

The Fudge Duck.

From following the excellent Bird Guides website I learned of a bird that had been spotted over a number of days at Priory country park. It's called a Ferruginous Duck. Aside from not having heard of this species, or even what it looked like, I also have to confess to not even know how it should be pronounced. Some research revealed that it is also known as a Ferruginous Pochard or a Fudge Duck. This latter name I can only assume comes from its risk chestnut or dark caramel colouring.
I soon located the lone specimen in a mix of Tufted and Northern Pochard ducks. In the poor light the colour was not easily discernible and I imagine the rich warm colours are saved for their breeding plumage.
It was interesting to be able to learn of and observe a new species close to home, and it reinforces the breadth of variey in the avian world.

No comments:

Post a Comment