Sunday 9 December 2012

A Heavenly View!

The BirdGuides site had suggested that the elusive and enigmatic Hawfinch had been seen in the small village of Bramfield. It has been recorded on two or three different days recently up to Saturday afternoon. So I headed off at first light knowing full well that as I turned the key in my car they would be high-tailing to another county and this delightful bird would elude me as it had recently in Norfolk.
However, after keenly observing the trees in and around the churchyard I was more than rewarded with the winging of a flock of four of which three landed in the tops of the trees in the centre of the churchyard. They were a delightful sight with their shape and plumage easily discernible in the sharp morning light, and they lingered long enough for a close up view in the scope.
An absolute treat and I can understand why these are such a keenly sought after bird. The first of many encounters with these birds I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment